Would you like to improve guest comfort while increasing employee retention and productivity? As a restaurateur or facility manager, energy savings might not be top-of-mind, but optimizing with an affordable, predictive smart building controls solution could significantly help your business in several other areas.
Enhancing the comfort of your restaurant for both guests and employees translates into a healthy environment where guests want to return and employees want to stay. What's more is that productivity and your bottom line will also get a boost!
Restaurants are one of the most energy intensive building types. They consume nearly three times the energy of the average commercial building per square foot, according to energy conservation data from SustainableFoodservice.com.
How 75F Building Controls and HVAC for Restaurants Save Energy
- Dynamic Airflow Balancing — Involving continuous commissioning, dynamic airflow balancing is a proactive smart HVAC system enhancement that prevents hot and cold spots before they occur. Each area of your restaurant can be closely controlled, making for a superior energy efficient restaurant.
By optimizing the sequence for bypass dampers and working proactively to balance air temperature and quality, the 75F system operates with superior efficiency.
The following image shows a building before and after the 75F smart HVAC solution was installed. Green areas match the desired temperature, blue areas are too cold and red areas are too warm.
- Outside Air Optimization — 75F building controls allow you to constantly monitor and bring in fresh outdoor air for optimal control of CO2, CO and NO2 levels. We replace economizer controls on your rooftop units (RTU) with our own to enable the use of live data feeds, measuring outdoor air quality and enthalpy (air energy). Our indoor sensors measure your restaurant's indoor air enthalpy, and then we are also able to provide your restaurant with free cooling when conditions are right.
Many run-of-the-mill economizers get stuck in one position, unbeknownst to restaurateurs. This allows hot air to constantly flow through your RTU during the summer and cold air during the winter, which is inefficient and costly. Did you know that air conditioning may be up to 25% of your restaurant's energy usage?
Providing your team with optimal indoor air quality aids employee and guest health in addition to increasing productivity. Retrofitting your economizers can save you up to 40% of your energy bill! And, payback on such a solution is typically just one year.
- Air Pressure Control — Often an issue for restaurants, an air pressure imbalance may allow unwanted odors or smoke to drift into the dining area. Once that occurs, the manual process of reversing the airflow using an exhaust fan puts out of balance both the pressurization and temperature of the entire restaurant. Rebalancing optimal conditions in the restaurant in such a scenario is very energy intensive.
As an efficient solution, the Differential Pressure Control of our Outside Air Optimization modulates the outside air damper of your restaurant's rooftop unit whether or not a dedicated makeup air (MUA) unit is available. With the use of a differential pressure sensor, this combination can keep the ideal air pressure balance constant in your restaurant.
- Freezer, cooler and oven temperature monitoring — Walk-in and reach-in freezers and coolers may be monitored wirelessly and controlled remotely. In ovens, meat temperatures may be monitored similarly. As a result, restaurant staff no longer need to record temperatures by hand each hour.
- Reduce building controls maintenance costs — Optimizing your building management systems creates efficiencies that can greatly lengthen usable equipment life and reduce maintenance expenses. Smart building automation solutions dynamically adjust themselves.
Additionally, 75F provides the capability of running a cloud computing-based "health check" on your entire HVAC system to offer insight into the mechanics of your system without having to a roll a truck for an inspection and often being able to resolve an issue without even having to step foot on site.
- Multi-zone control for lighting — From lighting fixtures to signage, throughout your restaurant, advanced lighting management is a complete system that allows you to schedule lighting zones as you please or in coordination with sunrise/sunset times pulled from geographic data. Real-time lighting zone scheduling ensures your lights are on/off automatically only when they need to be or when you want them to be.
- Remote monitoring and control — Cloud computing and a mobile app integrated with your building controls system will allow you to manage and view the energy savings of your entire system from anywhere in the world. With 75F, our Facilisight mobile app enables you to seamlessly manage the scheduling of hundreds of buildings while simultaneously gaining real-time visibility of equipment performance and thermal loads.
You can view your entire portfolio and summaries of each location with Google Maps integration. All your building controls can be combined into this single software platform, which is compatible with iPhone, Android, iPad and all other tablets.